Friday, March 6, 2009

Mexican Lasagna


I wish this picture was better! This is some Mexican Lasagna that I made up the night before last. It is creamy, oozy (yes, oozy it totally a word) and makes you close your eyes with delicious delight with every bite. And in case you’re wondering, the answer is yes…I am a VERY good self-back-patter. But you probably figured that one out yourself. Anyhoo…back to the photo….I scarfed my dinner down so fast and completely the first night we had this, I forgot to take a pic before putting the leftovers in the fridge. So this pic is from night #2 just after coming out of the oven. While it was still very creamy, albeit a little less oozy on round two (like so many dishes are), it was still supremely yummy and I had to get a photo before it disappeared into my belly.This recipe is easy although I know it does seem to have a plenty of ingredients. But what can I say…I made it up while at work then played with the ingredients as I made it. I’d have tried it a few more times and maybe flipped it around a bit before writing it down, but it was so utterly fantaz, this is the final version from the get-go. One thing though…I’da probably used ground turkey if I’d had it, but I’d already thawed some hamburger, so I used that. You use whatever curls your toes. Annnnd….I usually note the size (ounces) of the cans I used, but I didn’t expect to actually fall head over heels in love with this! So, I’ve listed cans as small, large, regular etc...I bet you’ll get the meaning on your own ;-)

Mexican Lasagna
Ingredients:
Drizzle of olive oil1 ½ lbs ground beef or turkey1 small onion – diced
3 cloves garlic – crushed
1 small can chopped green chilies
Salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder
1 envelope taco seasoning - divided
12-14 white corn tortillas – 6” diameter
1 8 oz. brick cream cheese - softened
1 reg. size can diced tomatoes –do not drain
1 can Campbell’s Fiesta Nacho Cheese soup
1 can enchilada sauce - 1/3 can reserved
1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups shredded jack cheese
1 small can black olives

Drizzle some olive oil into a skillet and cook the onions until they begin to soften, add garlic, ground meat, salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder. Break up meat in pan to crumble and add 2/3 of the taco seasoning envelope. Cook meat until it’s cooked through. Drain off any fat. While meat is cooking, combine brick of cream cheese and can of diced tomatoes and remainder of taco seasoning envelope. Stir with whisk until well incorporated – cream cheese may stay a tiny bit lumpy...that’s okay. In another bowl, stir together nacho cheese soup and 2/3 can enchilada sauce. Shred both cheddar and jack cheeses. Once all components re ready, it’s time to assemble. In bottom of 9 x 13 pan, pour remaining 1/3 can enchilada sauce and tip the pan around so the sauce coats the whole bottom. Using about 5 ½ tortillas, lay them on top of the enchilada sauce, folding/breaking a small piece off one edge so they can lay flat against the side of the pan. Just piece them together best you can but you don’t want tons of over-layering. Using 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture, spoon globs atop the tortillas and spread out pretty evenly. Next, spoon 1/3 of soup mixture and spread it out as well. Evenly sprinkle 1/3 of the meat atop the soup then top the meat with 1/3 of each of the cheeses. Repeat these two layers twice more to make three layers in all, ending with the sprinkling of the two cheeses, then top it all off with the small can of sliced olives. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30 to 38 minutes. Let sit for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving. YUMMY!!!!!

No comments: