Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Cocoa Brownies

I looove homemade brownies. My gramma made homemade brownies and they were so much better than box brownies. Now, there are good box brownies, but to me, there is always an underlying gummy, globby texture and slightly plastic chocolate taste. And - don't get me wrong, I've eaten plenty of box brownies....plenty.

When my daughter had two friends over to watch movies this past Sunday afternoon - I wanted to make them a tasty treat and brownies are always a crowd pleaser. I have to admit that my initial thought was, 'do I have a brownie mix?' But then my very next thought was, 'no way! Scratch brownies!'
I pulled my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook off the shelf - her Cocoa Borwnies are the
very best scratch brownies. They use cocoa powder and to me, they are perfect. Cocoa is so light and delicate that it melts velvety smooth when it comes into contact with any heat - be that from friction while being mixed or as it's chocolatey essence comes alive in your mouth.
What's best about these brownies is that not only are they to-die-for delicious, but they are super fast-n-easy; containing ingredients almost every single person has on hand at any given moment. Betty does list folding in chocolate chips and walnuts and I like both just fine - but here, I omit them. I must have these brownies smooth like silk. Begin by combining the sugar, softened butter, vanilla and eggs. Mix until well incorporated.
Next, add the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. I like to finish the mixing by hand just so there are no tiny balls of cocoa powder left.
Once smooth, spread the mixture in a greased 8 x 8 pan, then slide into a preheated 350-degree oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool as long as you can stand it - 'cuz the heavenly, chocolate aroma will be tickling the air! - then cut into 16 squares and enjoy every melt-in-your-mouth bite!
Cocoa Brownies
Ingredients
1/2 Cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
(1/2 cup chocolate chips & 1/2 cup walnuts nuts if so desired)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat butter sugar, eggs & vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients until well blended. Spread in greased 8 x 8 pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, may I know the size of the pan you used?? Thanks :)

cherine_teh@hotmail.com

Me said...

Oops! Sorry 'bout that! I used an 8 x 8 and it was greased as well!

Anonymous said...

I realised that you actually did state the pan, my mistake! I just tried this recipe out today, it literally melts in my mouth! Thanks for the recipe :)

Me said...

Oops! Only just saw that you made these - SO glad you liked them as they are tired and true fave of mine! :-)