Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Brand New Leftover Stuffing....

What's better than fresh-made stuffing on Thanksgiving day? Crispy, fried stuffing the next day! I made the stuffing for this year's feast. We had fewer people than normal and let's face it, I didn't think two bags of stuffing bread cubes (I'd bought three) would make so much! A good amount of stuffing went home with family in plastic containers, and there was still some left to bring home for ourselves. I didn't want to simply reheat the stuffing, but wanted to make it seem new and different for a whole new dinner.
While heating about 2 tablespoons olive oil along with 1 tablespoon butter in a large, non-stick frying pan, I put aproximately 2 to 3 cups of leftover stuffing in a mixing bowl, added one egg and mixed it by hand to combine it well. I then formed a medium, palm-sized ball into a patty shape (about 3 inches diameter) and gently pressed each side in regular-joe bread crumbs (woulda loved to use panko...but I was out). I then fried each side over medium heat until golden brown...about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
The insides were creamy and full of clasic stuffing flavor while the outsides had just the right amount of crunchy crust to contrast the inner, hot, fluffiness. These were awesome with a hot veg and small steak but I gotta say I think they'd be awesome with a fried egg on top for breakfast! Have to try that next time!

No comments: