Monday, December 7, 2009

Warm Strawberry Cream Cheese Sweet Treats...

The hubs had a couple of friends over to watch Sunday morning football yesterday. We were going to have the regular Sunday morning breakfast of eggs, browns and bacon, but I wanted to toss in a little something fun and sweet to counter all the savory. These little strawberry cream cheese treats were a hit - I think Kelly ate about 10 of them! I liked them best warm, but when two were left - all alone & cold later in the afternoon, they weren't much of a struggle to get down the ol' gullet if you know what I mean. They are simple to make and you probaby have most of the 5 ingredients on hand...First, make a chrean chese mixture using 1/2 brick of cream cheese (that's be 4oz), 1/4 cup of cream cheese, a splash of vanilla and mix well. Then grab a jar of your favorite jam. I used seedless strawberry....
You'll need 1 canister of refrigerated crescent rolls. I bought 'Jim's brand'...wow...they were SO 'Jim's brand'! Hard to unroll, cut funky.... I suppose in the end they were fine, but if you want to buy the more well known brand to make things easier and neater, go for it! Anyhoo...each canister has for rectangles (each with two triangles), I laid out all four rectangles, two side by side and two more side by side under the first two, then pressed all the seams together to make one large sheet of dough (I understand you can now buy cescents in full sheets for just this kind if recipe - but my store didn't have them). Then I cut the sheet into 15 squares - 5 slices across and 3 high.
I sprayed a mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and pressed one dough square into each cup.
Then I dropped a very small dollop of the cream cheese mixture into each one. I bet it was about a teaspoon or less...
Next, I spooned in about the same amount of jam. I didn't try to spoon it anywhere specific, just plopped it in.
One more tiny bit of cream cheese came next - probably 1/2 teaspoon or so in each this time.
Ready for the oven!
Mmmmm........They were bubbly hot! A little bit of jam escaped over the sides - but they were not overly messy or anything. I let them cool about about 10 or 15 monutes before trying one...hot jam is....well it's hot!
Yum-city! They were flaky, soft, gooey, creamy, jammy..... The perfect little breakfast sweet-treat.
Warm Strawberry Cream Cheese Sweet Treats
Ingredients:
4 oz. cream cheese - softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
approx 1/4 cup strawberry jam
1 canister refrigerated crescent rolls
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together until smooth. Unroll crescent rolls. Place dough rectangles 2 side by side and two more under the first two, pressing all seams together to make one large rectangle of dough. Make three, equal, horizontal slices across the dough and 5 equal vertical cuts to make 15 squares. Spary a mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and press one square in each cup. Spoon approx 1 teaspoon of cream cheese mixture in each dough-lined cup followed by approx an equal amount of jam. Spoon approx 1/2 teaspoon more of cream cheese after the jam. Bake for 11 minutes or until corners are light, golden brown. Cool for 3 or 4 minutes in pan, then remove and allow to cool another 10 or 15 minutes before eating while warm (caution, jam is hot!)

No comments: