Monday, April 5, 2010

Light & Lovely Lemon Squares

Mmmmm....I LOVE lemon! Lemon curd and sour cream lemon pie are my favorite lemon treats. I used to make these lemon bars all the time but for some reason, they'd taken a back seat for quite a few years. So, when I had my mom out for dinner recently, I pulled out the old Betty Crocker cookbook to bring them to the forefront once again - I'm SO glad I did... Yum!
I actually meant this to be a pre-Easter post but could get my photos to upload :-( I thought the light yellow color of these mellow-tarted bars would be perfect for the pastel holiday. But better late than never! If you have a passion for lemon, give these a try - with their flaky shortbread-type crust and smooth lemon middle....you won't be sorry!
Lemon Squares

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup butter – softened
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons lemon peel/zest
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
Powdered sugar for dusting


Directions:
Heat over to 350. Mix four, butter and powdered sugar with a pastry blender until well combined and fine. Press mixture in an ungreased 8x8 or 9x9 pan building up sides ½ inch. Bake crust 20 minutes. Meanwhile, beat granulated sugar, lemon peel/zest, lemon juice, baking powder, salt and eggs with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy – about 3 minutes. Pour over hot crust. Bake 25 – 30 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched lightly in center. Cool and dust with powdered sugar. Cut into 16 squares.

No comments: