Monday, January 12, 2009

Yummy Rice Bowl.....



Oh boy.....had another pound and a half of ground turkey to turn into something my family would wanna eat for dinner on Sunday. I don't think it's necessarily hard to think of things to do with the turkey - or really any protein as my husband is always willing to try whatever I feel like whipping up, but my daughter, bless her heart, does want to hear an idea that sounds really yummy when she asks the inevitable "what's for dinner?" Can't say I blame her. I remember being about her age and asking that same question of my mother only to have my heart sink when I'd hear "Hamburger patties and baked potatoes". Gawwwwd.......I heard that more times than I care to remember. And though it's a favorite meal of mine now, back then it was bo-ring! Now, last night, I have to say, I, myself was craving something different with this ground turkey. I didn't want to turn it into a stew or chili-type dish. I wasn't feeling 'saucy' and I knew I wanted flavor. I tend to crave Chinese from time to time as I haven't had any good Chinese since we moved to a new house almost 4 years ago. Panda hardly counts, but in a pinch, it's gotten me through - my daughter loves it - but it really isn't 'Chinese food'. So...last night I remembered a dish my sister and mom used to order at this little burger place in downtown PDX. It had lots of celery and sliced broccoli stems and some kind of meat (which is a little disconcerting now to not really know what meat it was) served over white sticky rice. Mystery meat or not, it was good and knowing I had celery and broccoli in the fridge, I set my sights on tyring to make up my own match to this hot & tasty plate of good memories. I have to say - It was killer! My husband and daughter also really liked it and I'm glad to have another new recipe in my arsenal of dishes with lots of savory flavor. Served in some fun bowls with an Asian flare that my sister gave me several years ago, I only wished I'd had some chopsticks to make it perfect. A light, bare-fruit salad accompanied our steamy rice bowls - it was a super yummy and easy comforting dinner.

Yummy Rice Bowl

Ingredients:
3 stalks celery - sliced down the middle and finley diced
1 small head broccoli - thickest part of stem discarded, but rest of stem (as it branches into small stalks toward flourettes), thinly sliced all the way to the flourettes
pretty much causing them to fall apart into very small clusters
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1/2 yellow onion - sliced and rounds quartered
3 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 T. olive oil
1/2 T. sesame oil
1 t. Asian seasoning blend (I use Pampered Chef)
Salt
Pepper
Several shakes reduced sodium soy sauce - aprox. 2 T
1 t. garlic powder
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey breast
1/2 envelope fried rice seasoning (I use Sunbird brand)
White sticky rice - (2 cups uncooked) - prepared according to package directions

Directions:
Heat oils in a large frying pan and put rice on to cook. When oils are hot, stir in celery, broccoli, red pepper and onions. Season with salt and pepper, the Asian seasoning and a few shakes of soy sauce. Cook for aprox. 5 minutes (adding in the garlic half way through) until the vegetables just begin to get tender. You want bite to them - no mushy veggies! Remove veggies from pan and add the ground turkey, breaking it apart with wooden spoon to crumble - you may need/want to add a bit more oil to the pan. Season with salt, pepper and and 1/4 of the envelope of stir fried rice seasoning and a few more shakes of the soy sauce. Once the meat is almost all the way cooked through, add veggies back in and add another quarter of the fried rice seasoning. Stir well to combine and let flavors meld while the rice finishes cooking. When the rice is done, spoon it into individual bowls and top it with the steamy, flavorful meat mixture. Dig in and enjoy! You may choose to squirt on a bit more soy sauce or rooster sauce - dress it to your liking. I chose neither as I loved it the way it came right out of the pan. Yummy!


No comments: