Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Mmmm....what smells so good?!



Ahhhhh....I got my house back. Halloween is fun and all - but I SO entirely love the day that all those witch figurines, paper skeletons and pumpkin candy dishes take solace in their tissue paper tombs and get stored away in their boxes till next year.
With fall being my favorite season, I like nothing better than to gather the pine cones and rocks and other natural elements I've collected over the years (my sister gave me some monster pinecones a couple of years ago that I adore!) and place them with candles and other items that help our house feel warm, cozy and dressed for the season. With all the candles aglow, I feel extra secure, safe and appreciative of the home we've made for our little family.
This kind of decor is totally 'me' and gets me in the mood for baking treats and cooking yummy dishes. One thing my daughter and I really love is simmering a pot of wonderful, seasonal scents on the stove. Just fill a small saucepan with water and add cloves, cinnamon (sticks or ground - whichever you have on hand), ginger and *orange peel (scrape off the white pithy part, then score the outside of the skin to really release the fresh orange scent). Bring the pot to a boil on your stove top, then set the pan's lid askew atop the pan to allow the sweet vapors to escape. Turn the heat to a very low simmer - soon, your house will be filled with a wonderful 'cider' smell and the aroma of fall and Thanksgiving. It's heaven! Warning...check the pot every so often and replace the water that has evaporated with hot tap water. You won't need to reboil the water as it will soon simmer once again on it's own.
*Each time you eat an orange or satsuma this season, save your peels in a plastic sandwich baggie in the fridge - that way you'll always have peels on hand for yourt simmer pot!
There's nothing better for making your home warm and cozy - give this a try soon!

No comments: